Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Now that he's four...


A few weeks ago Isaac and I were lying in his bed together, looking at the ceiling. I had an idea. I said to him, “Isaac, now that you’re going to be four, we can take down your bird mobile.” It didn’t fit in with my vision of his “big boy room” but I didn’t tell him that. We took it down together.

Then a few nights later Ben put Isaac to bed. Isaac had been guzzling his milk and Ben said to him, “Isaac, you don’t need to drink all your milk. You’ve woken up a few times in the night this week having to pee so don’t drink too much.” Isaac thought for a minute then said, “Daddy, the reason I’ve been waking up in the night is because my bird mobile is gone.”

When Ben relayed all this to me later my heart broke and I marched upstairs and hung that bird mobile back up while Isaac slept. I will not be held responsible for breaking my boy’s heart over a silly little bird mobile. He can have it up there until he’s twelve for all I care.

I found myself using a similar line with him shortly after the bird mobile incident: “Isaac, now that you’re almost four…” But for another reason: “… now that you’re four you’ll need to get changed and put on your outdoor clothes all by yourself.” And I won’t be moved on that one. He can’t have me helping him change his clothes until he’s twelve.



Some things he can stay young in and other things we must train him up in.
 
It's like that with our walk with God.  
 
We stay young and innocent in our faith, in our hope, in our stature, in our thirst for spiritual food. That’s an intentional decision, I think.
 
"[Jesus] said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:1-4).

And yet, we have to grow up in pretty much all  other areas:
 
"...until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness and deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ" (Ephesians 4:13-15). 

So that baby bird mobile stays dangling from the ceiling above where Isaac’s crib used to sit. And apparently it comforts him in the night when he’s scared. And next to it I’ve hung a map of the world. Below it sits his lego strewn on the floor and his size 5 pajamas. And he’ll soon be going to school.
 
He’s growing up….
 
...while still holding onto some of his baby innocence.
 
I’m fine with that.


 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

perfect balance. just right for him.