Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

What's your vision? Remind yourself.

Photo courtesy of Graham Schofield
Earlier this week I mentioned there were a couple things that have helped me while thinking through next steps in my blogging and writing ventures.

I noted Isaac reminded me to just be me.  It's so simple but I have to tell myself this one all the time.  If I get caught up with what other writers or bloggers are doing in the world, I lose sight of my own calling or goals.  I also rob myself, others and God of the specific gifts He's put inside me. 

Another thing that's helped has been refreshing my vision.  That is, casting my vision and reminding myself of it (almost everyday).  Why am I doing what I'm doing?  What am I working towards?

I started running again in August.   It was perfect timing: my workplace moved from my neighbourhood in Overbrook, Ottawa to Gatineau, Quebec.  What used to be a quick trip home turned into an hour-long bus ride.  I started running home from work a couple times a week to cushion the transition in adventure. 

The habit started out well; however, after about a month, my initial adrenaline/motivation faded....

Nowadays, by the end of my work day, as I'm about to put on my running clothes, I ask myself, "Why do I do this running thing again?"  If I can't convince my brain, I bail. 

If, on the other hand, I can rally up a solid answer within... If I can remind myself I love the feeling of my blood pounding hard and my legs moving strong.  If I can remember I do this because it helps me stay emotionally stable, because it will help my body stay strong in years to come, that I will feel more awake in the day and more rested at night...  that running reminds me I'm a confident person....

If, at the end of the day I can remember all these things, and keep those little convincing thoughts going on while I pull my running shoes and clothes on... then I'm off!

... until I realize in the first few minutes it's tricky and I'm tired and I'd really like to walk... So again, if  I can remind myself there's purpose in this then I'll keep going until I get into my running rhythm...

And so it continues.

What a privilege it is to cast vision, to think of possibility, to dream of what's next in our lives.  And alongside this visioning there's the constant reminding and remembering. 

God does this reminding thing all the time....

Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.  I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder... (2 Peter 1:12-13).

Even better than reminding ourselves is reminding others what we see in them and spurring them on in their giftings!

1 comment:

wonder wilks said...

this is so great. thanks for writing. thanks for blogging. it has been a great encouragement to me & i'm sure to many, many others.

reminding myself as well. of purpose & plans & the hard work of training & running the race. :)