Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Mid-summer grateful

You know what I'm thankful for this Monday evening?

I'm thankful for Ann Voskamp's site... For that beautiful reminder last week to breathe in, receiving what the Lord gives, and breathe out, giving thanks.  For her post today on counting fish - a life of counting blessings, yielding more than it seems.  I find I dwell on her words.  And they're life to me.

And now that I'm on the topic of blogs, you know who else I'm thankful for?  Kirsten at tollipop.  She writes wonder and adventure into simple life moments, like her pet dung beetles and her runs in the desert.  Kate won one of her little paintings last week, and I was like, Kate!  You've been given the moon!!!

 
I'm thankful for things in my own real life as well, not just in the blogging world:
  • A bag of rhubarb that shows up on my kitchen counter.  I stew it slow on the stove and eat it with ice cream.  Isaac puckers his face and says yuck.
  • A second round of sowing this season.  I kneel down low and breathe in the smell of tomato plants - fresh green life.  Isaac comes along and digs his hands into the dirt beside me.  Best planting ever.
  • Sitting at the dining room table, talking through Ben's final thesis revisions with him.  Feeling capable of helping Benny in a tangible way, like he helps me so often. 
  • The shredder at work.  Sifting through files to prepare for our move to Gatineau.  There's something about paring down, in any corner of my life, that feels so orderly.  Shred, shred, shred.

2 comments:

Jennifer Dougan said...

Mary,

Nice to meet you. I'm hopping over from Ann's link up. Fun to have this glimpse into your life. Gardening, breathing in deeply the scent of fresh soil, delight in fresh produce and fruits, and enjoying bloggy friends... I get.

Tell me more about your Ben's thesis project, and your upcoming move to that new city. It sounds French.

Have a great week,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Mary,

Nice to get to know you too. Re your comment on my post "Walls, Writing and What You Were Made For," you have that love for words too? Ahh, a kindred spirit. :)

So tell me more about the thesis and the French sounding city?

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com