Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

For I know the plans


Last August, almost a year ago, a friend of mine told me, "The Lord has a plan for you for this year." 

I was asking God about that this week.  Some stuff threw me off this year. What was the Lord's plan through it all?  It's not easy to know... it's not really worth trying to figure out. 

Jeremiah 29:11 came to mind - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future

I remember my friend, Thom, talking about his father's sickness and death.  He had shaken his fists at God, asking where He was through that time.  Then he realized God was with him through it all - walking his family through in grace.

Often Jeremiah 29:11 is carried on its own... but the power of the verse is in the context of the whole chapter... the place the Israelites found themselves in.  They needed to hear that God had a plan in the midst of that place...

Babylon.

The Israelites had been exiled to Babylon.  Taken from their homes.  Moved to a strange place.

The Lord tells them it's going to be awhile. 

And in the midst of this upheaval in their lives, God spoke: For I know the plans...

I think just knowing this truth must have helped.  As they walked through that strange place, as foreigners, perhaps they whispered it over and over to their hearts.  They needed to hear that God was with them, that He was carrying them through, that His plan for them was protection and hope.

I'll take that.  I don't know why some things happen... but God says He's here, He's sovereign, He has a plan.

And as a little aside, here's a part of that plan of God:

 
 
Such a sweet smile, that Isaac Jay.  Reminds me of promise.
 
For I know the plans.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love that sweet smiling boy too.