Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Isaac's insomnia

Isaac takes a very long time to do certain things.  He's three so this is normal, right?

Is it normal that it drives me bonkers?

As an example, Isaac's bathroom routine is quite drawn out.  I think it's because he laps the bathroom about five times between each step.  He'll put the stool by the toilet then skip around the bathroom thinking about jokes and life and his friends.  He'll wiggle his pants down, mainly without using his hands, flinging his feet around until the pants finally squirm off his ankles.  Then he'll lap the room a few more times, calling himself "maked" before plopping down on the toilet... and on it goes.

If we're really needing to be somewhere, I set aside developing his independence and rush through the last few steps, doing it for him...  Why am I so impatient? 

Also, Isaac sometimes takes forever to fall asleep. 

Ben's mom says Ben was the same way when he was a boy.  He would sing and talk to himself and fling his legs in the air.  He still does this sometimes, as I sleep soundly beside him.

Isaac's taking after his daddy.  After we've read books and snuggled and brushed his teeth he'll crawl into bed, eyes wide awake and energized. 

He'll read books in bed.

He'll watch people out the window.

He'll toss and turn and call for us. 

We'll lie with him for a few minutes and leave then he'll call us and we'll lie with him and leave... and so on.

I'm sure there are some parenting strategies that could make this a bit easier on us.  But I also think he's just like this.  Some evenings he's just wide awake. 

He gets restless.

And I get restless.  Boy, do I get restless. 

My evenings at home are often for getting things done.  I'm like that, I have plans for laundry and food stuff and books and blogging and phone calls... I have a little run-on to-do list in my head at all times. 

This parenting patience thing, even with one child, can be challenging.

The other night it was about 9:15pm.  I was sitting at the end of Isaac's bed and he was lying down, wide-eyed, staring at the ceiling.  I wasn't going to leave until he fell asleep. 

In the dark, I stared at the little painting I had made for Ben on his birthday about seven years ago.  I had hung it up in Isaac's room when I was pregnant... Glory be to God for dappled things, I had written on it. 



I started a little conversation with myself (although, it was kind of to God) while staring at the painting:

"Why am I so impatient?...

Because I wanted to get all those things done tonight....

And why am I so concerned about so many things?"

And so often I return to the story of Martha and Mary and that's what I was reminded of in that moment: 

Jesus said to Martha, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, and it will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:41-42).

And I felt peaceful.  And Isaac fell asleep.  And I turned to Jesus once again:

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-29). 

No comments: