Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yopp

The other day, Robyn mentioned that when certain brain synapses aren't used, or when thought patterns aren't practised, they go away.  They're actually destroyed or dissolved or something like that. 

It's nice to know that it's possible to break certain habits. 

But I got a little scared once I got thinking... Does this mean some of my passions could fade away?  Feeding the poor, caring for people who are marginalized...  These are some of the things I care deeply about... And what am I doing with those convictions now? 

Isaac's been enjoying the story of Horton Hears a Who recently. Yes, once again, I'm returning to Dr. Seuss inspiration. 

In the story, the teeny tiny little Who's try to make enough noise so that the other animals - not just Horton the elephant, with his massive ears - can hear them and know they exist.  The Who mayor gets every Who to make noise but still those kangaroos and monkeys can't hear them. 

The Who mayor goes searching and finds a little who named Jo-Jo who isn't making any noise at all.  The mayor tells Jo-Jo to speak up for his town for every voice counts... 

Well,

 The lad cleared his throat and shouted out, 'YOPP!' 
And that Yopp...
That one small, extra Yopp put it over!
Finally, at last! From that speck on that clover
Their voices were heard! They rang out clear and clean
And the elephant smiled. "Do you see what I mean?...
They've proved they ARE persons, no matter how small.

And their whole world was saved by the Smallest of All!"

What if my passion matters? What if I need to speak up?  What if I need to take small steps?

YOPP!