Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Alien form

 

I came into work today to find a mysterious, bright green cloth sitting on my desk. 

I called my manager over and we both stared at the little green guy.  We were speechless, except for our eew gross mutterings.  My apple was disgustingly close to the dampish-looking thing.  My precious fruit was likely contaminated with whatever the cloth's brownish smudges were composed of.

Who’s been hanging out in my cubicle, in the dead of the night?  What was this little guy up to?  Likely just doing its job.  Cleaning things up a little.  Making sure cleaning protocol was met. 

Although, being left here was definitely not following protocol.  What else could be awry in its fibres?  I’m so used to my space and normalcy.  

I moved slowly…. I picked the cloth up with a Kleenex and tossed it into my garbage.  I disinfected the surface area.  I thoroughly washed my apple… then decided I couldn’t bring myself to eat it and threw it out.  I scrubbed my hands with soap… then scrubbed them again.

I hope this isn’t a reflection of my  view of the world…  of different, other, marginal, mysterious.  Do I respond to life's unpredictabilities and less-ideal situations with this kind of apprehension and stand-offishness?  I’ve been aware of my comfortable life lately… my focus on Isaac, my reliance on Benny, my gardening projects, my writing goals…  These are all great things (especially my commitment to my family) but there's a whole world out there to focus on. 

I’ve found since December I haven’t really felt passionate to pursue certain things that take energy or effort.  That’s fine.  It’s been a season. 

But seasons end and I’m praying for God’s heart.  That’s how we know it’s a grace thing – when it’s from our filled-to-overflowing hearts.  I’m praying for a refreshing.  A sensitivity and compassion... even towards the little green surprises.      

"John’s disciples came and took his body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus.  When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns.  When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick." (John 14:12-14).

No comments: