Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Redemption (part II)

photo courtesy of shamaniac shift

Redemption is such a big word and I know I’m not fully grasping all of its theological facets, but it’s helped me, like I wrote yesterday, come to a place of hope through the loss of our baby. 

I thought I’d share. 

After losing the baby, almost right away I realized there was an eternal redemption... is that an okay term to use?  I believe the baby’s existence didn’t end right there.  We had that baby Banjo for a while... then that baby went right into the arms of the Father God.  I believe that.  And that’s redemption.  And that’s a comfort to me. 
Then there’s a redemption that’s bigger than little individual me.  After we lost the baby, I found a lot of women – women in the church – got pregnant.  Is that redemption?  Our church community won’t be known as a group of people who loses babies.  There’s a determination to life and fertility and reproduction.  I’m rejoicing in that life and praying for no more losses.

And then there’s the hope for other children in our family.  This is the toughy.  As much as it would be easier not to have a desire for other children of our own, it’s there and as my body heals, it grows more.  And I have to think it’s a Godly desire and be thankful because it means there’s space for faith...pushing out fear.
I read about Job.  He had seven sons and three daughters born to him.  Tragically, they died.  In a windstorm.  They were all in a house together and the house collapsed on all of them and they died. 

But then, eventually, on into the future, Job had more children.  He had seven more sons and three more daughters.  They didn’t replace the ones that died.  I’m sure those losses were still very real to Job.  But God gave Job more children in a redeeming, beautiful way.

Job saw a lot of redemption in His lifetime:
The Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning... Job lived 140 years, and saw his sons and his grandsons, four generations.  And Job died, an old man and full of days (Job 42:12&16).

I know there’s more too... in all of our lives.  I think our Redeemer is working in ways far beyond what we can think or imagine.   In fact, I’m seeing redemption everywhere right now.  In songs, verses, interactions... It’s the love message of our Father God and His Son.  It’s the promise the Holy Spirit pumps through our blood.    
But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us form the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:37-39).  

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

me too Mary. All I can see is that our God, Jesus, is the amazing redeemer. Everywhere, and in every way.

Thanks for sharing.

xo
B.