Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

On the back of his head


My office was super quiet yesterday afternoon before this Labour Day Weekend. 

I was the only one at work in my team.  I think there were about ten people on our entire floor. 

I paid attention to things I normally don't pay attention to. 

The building fans... sometimes they cut out for a second then start again, like they've skipped a heart beat.

The smudges on my desk.  I cleaned them. 

The colourful sticky notes in our storage cabinet.  I chose coral.   

The quotes that my Director General, Mary, has outside of her cubicle.  This one in particular (I love A.A. Milne's writing):

Here is Edward Bear, coming down the stairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. 

It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it.

And then he feels that perhaps there isn't.

At the bottom of this quote my DG has written in brackets that it was read by Andy Johnson upon his retirement this year.  Andy Johnson was a senior policy advisor in HRSDC... he was usually the one at a presentation or meeting that asked the profound question that stopped the presenter in his tracks or who had the insightful comment to completely change the direction of an initiative.  I chuckled - that this amazing public servant chose such a quote - he saw lots of change and lots of static throughout his career, I'm sure.

Let's hold on to those moments where we get glimpses that there's something else in store... that there might be another way of doing something...

Let's stop and change our posture somehow...

Let's embrace innovation and dreaming and risky doing...

Instead of continuing - bump, bump, bump - down the stairs...forgetting... as we go along just as before.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I had such a moment this week.
My husband insisted we sleep train my daughter. I felt in my heart that the task was impossible. That she'd cry and wake up my son. That she would just refuse to go back to sleep. That the ONLY way to get her to go back to sleep is if I took her into bed with us because that's what I'd been doing.

Within two nights, I was convinced otherwise. I'm so glad I was forced to be enlightened.