Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Sonship identity

My ma has childhood nicknames for her three kids.  Melissa, is “Eetsa”, I’m “Maya”… and Jay is “Son”.  Picture my ma calling out (loudly) to her youngest from the back patio door into the yard where he’s mucking about: “Suh-uh-uhn”.  Or, her quick, low, matter-of-fact way of talking, “Yes, son… no, son… son this… son that”.  There is a pride there: a beautiful sonship.  And, of course, my ma is just as proud to have her daughters, to call us her girls.  I just love that she calls one of us by our mother-child relationship… by that identity.

I find myself doing the same thing with Isaac.  I call him, “my boy” or “my Isaac boy”.  He’s my son.

We talk a lot about sonship in our church…it’s central to who we are.  Sonship, in a God sense, applies to both men and women.  It’s a positioning with our Father God.  It’s an inheritance, an identity, given through Jesus.  God does the same thing with us as my ma does with Jay… when He speaks to us, He reminds us of who we are in Him: you’re My son (that’s why you’re right here beside Me), I’m proud of you, you can do all things because of Me, you’re valuable to Me, I’m raising you and shaping you, I love you… 

“But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship” (Galatians 4:4-5).