Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The several debate

The other night, Ben told me about something he had done for “several weeks”. Further into our conversation, he clarified, “And by several weeks, you know that I mean about three, right?”

“What?!” I didn’t get it… “Several means seven!” I emphasized the first syllable of each word, spraying him with my v’s.

What followed was our respective insistencies. We were both right, of course, until Ben decided only I was right so we could go to sleep.

The next day, we polled friends… some said it means a few, some said it means seven. We found out that Emily thought a dozen meant six and were able to correct that misconception confidently and quickly.

Ben googled it. He wasn’t satisfied with the definitions he found because he wanted to give me a chance, so then he googled: “Does several mean seven?”

Apparently there’s ongoing debate among the two camps. Of course, Ben’s in one and I’m in the other. I think he’s right but I’m stubborn so I’ll keep telling him it means seven for the rest of our lives.

And there you have it. A snapshot of our marriage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i have actually never thought that several would be seven... good question and hopefully a good clarification :)

B

Jay and Michelle said...

I just asked Jay, and he also said "Seven!" It must be a Loftus thing :) (Just for the record, I'm on Team Ben)

- Michelle

Wisdom Hunter said...

From dictionary.com

sev·er·al   [sev-er-uhl, sev-ruhl]
adjective
1.
being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind: several ways of doing it.

So you are both right! Wonderful, ain't it? (Is ain't a word?)

Ben and Maryann said...

Ben's right because in my mind several=seven. There's no flexibility to me but in the definition there's a range.

Yay Jay!

Mary