Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I can do it

A road trip update...

The weekend away with my Ma and sister was fabulous. Let me give you a little debrief... Soon after arriving in Peterborough on Saturday, we went to this all-you-can-eat sushi place... then left abruptly when it was too expensive. My Ma was so proud of her daughters. We ate at a $6.99 chinese buffet instead. We're no nonsense girls. Then we went to fabricland and got super excited with their 50% off members special - one day only! We chose fabrics that Ma said reflected our personalities. We fumbled over secretly sharing Melissa's membership card, like we were stealing or something. We blogged together in the afternoon and Melissa gave me a sewing book for no reason at all. We giggled all through dinner at/with Ma then curled up to watched episode after episode of Raising Hope until we got so tired that we left just one unwatched episode on the first disc. That's how the Loftus girls roll - if you're tired, you go to sleep. No questions asked, no nonsense. On Sunday we had breakfast with Dad and Carmen and savoured Dad's french toast with this amazing maple syrup banana compote goodness. I giggled over it and said I wouldn't tell Ben about how delicious it was.

Now let's focus - it was the drive I was worried about last week, right? Well, lo and behold, I must say that my drives to and from P-dot were quite enjoyable. I had a lovely landscape of bright, shimmery snow blanketed trees along the way. I listened to CBC Radio One, which I never have the time to do - on Saturday I listened to a show about discovering planets and on Sunday I even caught Stuart McLean and heard a story that was sent in about a reverand's experience officiating a biker's wedding. It brought tears to my eyes. I chatted with God and sang worship songs loudly. I got a big life decision sorted (such clarity) and invested some good thinking time into other life goings-on.

Upon arriving back in Ottawa, I realized the weekend had reminded me how much I enjoy road trips on my own. I hadn't lost my solo road tripping bravery at all. I remembered that solitude is beautiful and has its place, even in a life of companionship. Long drives are an opportunity to find that quiet place… Reminds me of a Mich song she sang in a cabin of girls at a retreat a long time ago: Into the chamber with you Holy Spirit, speak to me gently as I close the door.

Melissa now wants to go on these weekends away every six weeks or so (don't tell Mark or Ben). Well, whenever the next one happens, I certainly won't be so nervous about the drive. I'll remember the quiet, the clarity of mind, the Hwy 7 beauty… I'll catch Stuart McLean again and listen to the Passion Band's version of "When shadows fall on us…" like they're my old car ride friends.

After Jesus had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone (Matthew 14:23).

No comments: