Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

An already-trodden path

I was looking for the notes from my six-minute preach at School of the Word. The one about expectancy and new birth and stuff. And you know, I couldn't find it anywhere. Phooey. But I did find this awesome quote from our classmate, John Pilcher:

"I don't want to be a pioneer; I want to be a son - on an already-trodden path by the Father."

I love it. It reminds me of a time in university when my friend, Mark McTavish, was praying for me. While praying, he had a picture of me following my dad's footsteps in the snow. I would do this when I was little. My dad would cut across our lawn on the way to work. In the winter, when playing in the yard, I would jump from one of his footprints in the snow to the next, following the path he had taken earlier in the day. Mark was praying about how simple life is - it's just a matter of following where my Father has already gone.

I often return to this picture. When life decisions get complex, I remind myself of the simplicity of one step at a time. Where is God leading me today, in this moment? Where can I see evidence that the Lord is at work? What do I know God has said? What is "God's way" (aka "Kingdom") in this situation?

We aren't ploughing through wild brush and grown-over weeds, making our own way. No, we're following, step by step, the Lord's leading. Jesus said He did nothing by Himself. He did only what He saw the Father doing (John 5:19). And that's how we live too.

2 comments:

Peter Hartgerink said...

Great analogy, Maryann! I can really relate to the metaphor of following a path that has already been trodden.

Ben and Maryann said...

Thanks Peter.