Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Unguarded

For who knows what reason, my recent Branch all-staff meeting brought me to the brink of tears… a few times. I had to turn away from my colleagues at my table, for fear I was going to tear up. It wasn't sad crying; I was just touched.

My workplace is fairly professional and very bureaucratic. The staff meeting is an annual thing that people usually grumble about - think of how vague and general the language and activities have to be in order to be relevant for three hundred employees. Imagine how much I was caught off-guard to start to cry in that conference room, flourescent lights flickering overhead, dizzying carpet beneath my feet, provincial flags across the front of the room, powerpoint presenting bureaucratic quotes, english on one side of the room, french on the other.

Soft hearts stay soft in any setting. That's a good thing. Even though people are friendly in my workplace, they're usually guarded. Genuine, unguarded people stand out. If that means crying in a meeting, I guess I'll take it.

One thing that made me get a bit tear-y was a Helen Keller quote, shared by our emcee in a surprisingly enthusiastic voice - Terence Erlenbach style. The other thing was our guest speaker, a paralympic games champion, telling us to follow our dreams. Okay, I am fully aware, I am pretty cheesy.

Here's the Helen Keller quote:
I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Don't analyze it theologically, just let it touch your unguarded, cheesy heart strings.

No comments: