Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Mixed impressions of the costumed

Judgements float around my head throughout the day. My thought processes on Halloween Day served as a reminder that my first impressions are often unfounded and unfruitful. No judgements, really, have a place in my brain of brains.

On Monday, business went on as usual for most of us in my office building… except for a few. Almost everyone sported their usual business casual clothes… many brought in chocolate and candy to pass around. But a select few decided to go all-out and wear full-fledged Halloween costumes. In the cafeteria that morning I passed a Raggedy Ann with bright red hair and crazy striped legs. Attention starved? I dared to think. At the elevators I nodded to a full-grown chicken man. Creepy, I thought. At lunchtime I spotted a scantily-clad witch. Scandalous anyone? Definite negative reactions - as if their costumes gave me reason to believe they were strange people. They were probably just having fun and didn't care what anyone thought of them.

Then night fell, I left my office space for cozy home and dove into Halloween mode full gear. We pulled the lion costume around Isaac. Cute. Levi came over as a construction worker (an outfit borrowed from a teddy bear). Adorable. Many parents were fully dressed up when they brought they kids to our front door. What a lovely family focus. Later at the Tenthorey's, our friends wore afro wigs, pink cowboy hats and gypsy head scarves. Crazy fun!

The same idea (fancy dress) in different contexts yielded very different impressions on my part.

Huh.

It's a love thing.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things (1 Corinthians 13:7).

No comments: