Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Unstoppable

As Ben enters into the final year of his PhD, he's beginning to explore job possibilities and to apply for positions to start next summer. Woot woot. We were chatting about options this week. He's applying to some jobs that he would consider temporary, just to provide for our family (love it), as he continues to work towards his long-term career goals.

As much as I want him to get a job and earn a salary, I don't want him to do something he's discontent in. He doesn't seem to mind. At one point in our conversation, regarding a particular job, I said, "But, what if you get sucked in?" I don't think Ben has ever been "sucked in" to anything. He just shrugged it off and said, "I won't… I'm an initiator."

If you ever think anything is going to get in the way of you achieving a life goal or dream, chat with Ben. What is Ben's secret? How is he so positive?

Well, he's aware of human limitations, but he knows that with God, he's unstoppable.

Jesus said, "What is impossible with man is possible with God" (Luke 18:27).

He also knows the power of his faith, and what faith accomplishes.

"Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move" (Matthew 17:20).

Ben also knows how to persevere and keep his eyes on the prize, the glory of God displayed in the earth.

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14).

Good man.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Indeed, the universe has BIG plans for that boy. Initiator, Catalyst, Driven. I have deep respect for him and I'm so glad my sister's in such good hands.