Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A parent's heart

Ever since Isaac was a wee little babe, he's been independent and curious to see the world. He seemed to have a pretty strong neck from even the first week of his life... I would cuddle him close and he would manage to push his little head away from my chest to check me out. Right away, Janie mentioned that he wasn't the cuddliest baby. Boo.

Isaac has now learned to take the time to cuddle and hug and I know he enjoys our affection. However, he still has his moments. This weekend Isaac developed croup, which sounds terrible and looks painful. My heart goes out to him and I just want to squeeze him closely to me, rub his back, and sing a little song of comfort to him. But what does he do when he's upset and in pain? He resists my affection, pushing himself away from me, moving my hands off his back, shaking his head for me to stop singing.

It reminds me of the story of the Prodigal Son. The son was sick in a way - he was heartsick, sick with rebellion against his father, sick from living in poverty. And although he had pushed himself away from his father, all that his father wanted was his son's embrace.

How great is the Father's love for us. No matter what we've done or how much we've pushed Him away, He is there with arms wide open, loving us to pieces.

"While he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him" (Luke 15:20).

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It's so hard when your baby is sick. When Cole was sick, I would always bring him to bed with me, so every few moments I could reach over and be reassured he was still breathing and alive. Silly, eh?

Wisdom Hunter said...

Thanks Maryann! I like reading about people's children ... and I appreciated your Prodigal Son reference.

katevp-a said...

with Isla being sick this weekend and waking up so often, last night when she slept through the night i jumped up in the morning to check on her (in a little bit of a frenzy) and of course she was fine... and of course i woke her up.

I'm glad that God is always waiting for us, and I am glad that he watches over us as we sleep too.

-kate