Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Your pack

We were at Jenny and Weldon's on a Sunday. As we went to leave, we realized we didn't have space to bring Frisbee (our dog) home with us. We were porting about ten pots of spaghetti sauce in our trunk for the annual Church on Campus spaghetti dinner.

We piled in the car - Isaac, Edem, Ben and I. But as we went to leave, we noticed Frisbee. There she was, standing at Jenny and Weldon's front window, hoping we weren't about to leave her, too innocent to realize we hadn't forgotten her, that we were abandoning her on purpose. I wouldn't describe myself as sentimental when it comes to Frisbee, however, I have my moments. My heart went out to her. "We're her pack", I whispered. I learned that from the Dog Whisperer. Edem and I glanced down at the car floor under Isaac's feet. We determined that of course we could squeeze our great dane - lab into that wee space. I ran back to the house and squeeze her in we did.

Frisbee reminded me of fittings. We're not clique-y or exclusive, but it's certainly valuable to understand who you're knitted to, where you fit in. Sometimes it's hard work to find your place, your peeps. In the beginning, friendships can feel unnatural or artificial. But God intends us to persevere because it's His design to live in community. With friends and family, we give and receive, we help each other through difficulties, and we spur each other on to new places.

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit (Ephesians 2:19-22).

1 comment:

Carla said...

Thank Mary, that was a great observation. I've never thought of that Ephesians verse in that context before.