Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Written on the tablet of your heart

A friend recently mentioned she and her husband are compiling the Words God has spoken over their lives. I thought this was a great idea - having one place to go, to remind ourselves of personal promises from God and visions we carry for our future. I decided to do this as well for our family. A couple nights ago I sat down with old journals and notebooks and started reading through them. I hadn't looked at the journals in a long time so I was a little weary. I opened them with a bit of a cringe, holding them back a bit so the words didn't jump out and bite me on the nose. I guess I was thinking back to my life five to ten years ago and expecting to be reminded of the messy details or my faulty moments.

Have I mentioned grace lately?

I ended up being pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading through significant memories and funny glimpses of my past. I was encouraged by the peace of what I wrote. It was a collection of the the happiest (and saddest) moments, the delights of my heart, the strongest influences, the sharpest insights. And you know, the mistake of the day, the tangent gone wrong, the disappointing conversation or missed opportunity - well, these were nowhere to be seen - not worth dwelling on.

And this is the way God sees us and the way we can see ourselves and others. It's how we can choose to remember our past and select the moments we compile into our memory. It's not living a lie or pretending the bad stuff isn't there. It's clinging to the truth. It's believing the best in a situation. It's overlooking weaknesses and choosing to forget wrongdoings.

Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.

Proverbs 3:3

No comments: