Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

What is time? Where does it go?

When my sister was about ten years old, she had the coolest teacher ever - Monsieur Boisvert. For the class's "time" unit they wrote a song and recorded a music video. Picture the late '80s, young kids with puffy bangs and stirrup tights, trying to be straight-faced rock stars on a shaky video camera, holding giant school clocks, walking slowly down their halls, singing, "What is time, where does it go, what is time?" I thought my sister was beyond amazing and this put her up on a pedestal for me.

The tune was pretty catchy - I could sing it for you now .. but I won't.

I often think about time. I like to be efficient, but I also like to feel relaxed in day to day tasks. I want to spend time with people, and my family, and the Lord. I also seem to need time alone. Sleep is good. And there's always work and housework galore. Where does all the time go? Do I sometimes long for more time, instead of living in whatever moment I'm in?

I found something yesterday. Proverbs 3:1-2 says "Let your heart keep my commands; For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you." What a promise. I know "length of days" means adding more days to your life. But what if it also means that you will have longer days? More minutes than can be accounted for by the clock. Proverbs 3 gives so many simple life instructions, like binding mercy and truth around your neck, trusting in the Lord with all your heart, honouring the Lord with what you have. Is following the Lord and His simple life also a secret to having more time in your day? I think so. Again, it's a sowing and reaping thing. Give the Lord of your time by living for Him and you will receive back, as a bonus, more time than you thought you had.

No comments: