Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Count your blessings

When I was little, my mom was in a church choir in the little town of Shallow Lake (population 500). She was about twenty years younger than everyone else and was the only one without white hair and pale skin. She would have ladies over on Saturdays to practise their harmonies in our living room. I remember them singing, "Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings, see what God has done..." I think they had a formal performance with that one because they practised it over and over and over again...

I was reminded of the hymn this weekend while visiting my sister. Isaac and I spent the weekend with Melissa, Mark, Cole (two and a half years old) and Amelia (ten weeks old). It was chaotic, really, I'll be honest. Amelia is lovely - she has this high pitched scream that we say sounds like a baby raptor from Jurassic Park. Isaac also adopted a bit of a frustrated scream every time Cole took a toy from him. That was a frequent occurrence since Isaac played with Cole's toys all weekend. I think Melissa felt a bit like she wanted to be in control of everything since she was hosting me so her mind was racing most of the time.

Melissa must have listened well when Mom and her choir ladies sang "Count your blessings" over and over again. She is so good at noting the simple blessings in life. Throughout the weekend, every time all three kidlets were sleeping, or whenever Isaac and Cole played peacefully together while Amelia had happy awake time, whenever Melissa and I sat down together with a cup of tea, she would say, "Let's remember this moment. This is a good moment." By the end of the three days, Isaac and Cole were giving each other hugs and sharing toys and Isaac was giving Amelia his signature head rub.

We got home at midnight last night, and I had one of those sleepy/groggy/heavy mornings again, getting up for work. But when I walked into my work building, the sounds of a man playing a guitar and singing Abba songs filled the air. Our senior management were handing out free coffee and muffins. Score! I unwrapped the muffin, took in the music, and noted to myself: This is a good moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the Good Stuff! I love you, Sis. ;)