Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tomatos, carrots, beans

Every year it is of the utmost importance to me to plant my veggie garden. I guard the time and make sure it happens. Even before having a house, I planted tomato plants and herbs in pots and built up a hearty house plant collection.

Victoria Day Weekend came and went this year and at the back of my mind I was thinking about veggies. This past weekend we went away with friends to a cottage, and Sunday night I was way too exhausted to do anything. Then yesterday, at the end of my work day, I took an energy inventory heading out of my office building. I had it in me, so I ended up getting everything planted after Isaac went to sleep. It was brilliant. I love that feeling of putting my hands through the soil, and pressing down the dirt around the seeds or seedlings. Or, the feeling of giving the soil a satisfying watering once everything's in the ground. And, early this morning, I peered down through the bathroom window to make sure the tomato seedlings were still there.

As I walked to work this morning, I thought about what the Lord had spoken to me through the veggie gardening. I racked my brain, thinking of references to seed and sowing and farming in God's Word. Maybe He was speaking to me those verses about the farmer planting then leaving - it doesn't matter whether the farmer watches or not, the seed will grow all the same. Maybe God was speaking to me about how a farmer doesn't just keep plowing over and over again - there's a time for planting and harvesting as well. How about those verses about how Christ is the seed?!!! Definitely important ones.

But as I walked, the Lord spoke to my heart and reminded me of His love for me. Veggie gardening just happens to feed my heart in a wonderful, pure way. In those things we love to do, He feeds us with His goodness, His love, His nurturing. Sometimes it's that simple.

1 comment:

Wisdom Hunter said...

Good one. I love to garden too, so I understand what you're saying at a deeper than rational level.