Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Porch building

This past weekend, we built a porch. My dad, brother Jay and his wife, Michelle, drove up to Ottawa and went to work. Ben and his dad and then some of our friends joined in. It was such a nice family and friends event. In preparation, I had drawn the plans, received the city permit, and ordered the materials. However, once the work started, I wasn't very helpful. I had to feed and entertain Isaac. I was also on food prep duty to keep the workers fuelled. Before the weekend, I had pictured myself getting my hands dirty - right in there. This didn't happen.

Throughout the weekend I had to tell myself I was valuable, that they didn't need me to do the dirty work, that every job was covered and that what was really useful was what I was already doing.

This sort of pep talk comes up a lot in life. Sometimes we say we know we're important even though we may have the more subtle life tasks. The challenge is to really believe it and to do everything with all our hearts and strength.

1 Peter 4:10-11
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ.

No comments: