Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Big pile of dirt

Lately I've been tackling these two questions:

  • Are we supposed to work at something, whether we like it or not, OR

  • Are we supposed to only settle for work that we love and are passionate about?
The answer, of course, is yes and yes ... and sometimes ... and it depends on the timing and the circumstances...
Ben and I have a big pile of dirt in our front yard. We've spent a few days digging into it, loading up the wheelbarrow, and delivering it to different areas of our yard. Digging dirt is not a fun job.
Sometimes I do work that I don't like.

What do we do when we're stuck "digging dirt"? These verses help me in those times:

  • Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for man (Colossians 3:23).

  • Work in a quiet fashion, eat your own bread, and do not grow weary of doing good (2 Thessalonians 3:10-13).
At the same time, I like to think that throughout life I will be able to work at things that I love and am passionate about. Here's where my hope comes from:

  • Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4).

  • Jesus said "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).
After all this balancing and reflecting, the bottom line is that our real "work" is to serve Jesus. It's a light burden, not a striving, but we are "workers" for the Lord:

  • We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ (1Thessalonians 1:2-3).
And that's where our real satisfaction comes from.

  • Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work (John 4:34).

No comments: