Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Be content with what you have

I mentioned we are in the midst of building a porch. This is just one of many renos we have planned for our "fixer-upper". We bought our home two years ago - May 2009. The first summer we moved in, we gutted the basement. The second summer, we waterproofed the exterior and re-did the basement. This reno crept into the fall and the winter due to unexpected complexities. And this is our summer of curb appeal, hence, the porch build.

The reno process has been quite stressful to me and has stretched my patience and sanity, for sure. At the same time, it's fun to dream up plans, to picture future changes, and to look for good buys. These thought processes are all about money.

Both the stress and the dreaming can have the same effect - I can easily get carried away and think about the house non-stop. I have to zoom out of myself, out of my home, out of my little world, and remember that the physical world around me is pretty temporal and the eternal things, like love and faith, are what will last. I try to slow my mind down and focus on what's important.

In our walks with God, our dealings with and handling of money are just about as practical a life issue as we'll experience. And, the older I get, the more I understand how easily it can be to get caught up in "love of money", whether it's through worry or through envy.

I probably say this verse to myself more than any other verse in the Bible:

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Hebrews 13:5-6)

No comments: